Thursday, December 10, 2020

bee freeloading

beekeeping,bee,beeline,foraging,Thomas D. Seeley,winter,

I enjoyed a break outdoors sitting in warm late fall sunshine.  When I returned indoors to continue my work-from-home I heard the familiar buzz, but I was not able to find the bee on my clothing.  The next day she was captured in a clear solo cup which are kept handy as a remedy for bee freeloading.  The bee was not moving in a coordinated way, so I added a few drops of honey in the clear cup, but she was not interested in feeding.  

Taken from my beelining playbook, I placed the clear cup in a darken area to encourage feeding. Yeah, I'm obsessed with beelining and see the world of insects through a beelining lens. For this freeloading bee, light seeking behavior was stronger than foraging behavior.

No comments: