Ants create tunnels and nest in the extruded polystyrene foam boards in warmer weather, so I postponed insulating the hives until now. In Atlanta, first frost arrived on November 12th which is just on the early side of historical average. November 12 also marked the first subtle Arctic Oscillation downturn this winter.
Here are current the hive elements:
- screen bottom board with no counting board insert
- bee cozy hive wrap surrounding the August hive down-sizing
- inner cover with notch up ventilation
- two 3/4 inch sheets of XPS foam board insulation between inner cover and telescoping cover
- white corrugated plastic sheet overhang
- concrete bricks on top