Sunday, May 12, 2013

three purple petals and six yellow anthers


bee, beekeeping, bloom, foraging, privet, spiderwort, tulip poplar,

On the morning walk I discovered honey bees visiting this plant - check out the crisp iPhone photo.   We purchased this flowering perennial too, but I lost track of its name.     I eventually found the plant on an Internet search -  spiderwort.  My garden books were not helpful - perhaps Walter Reeves will consider a Georgia book for beekeepers?

The neighborhood stinks of flowering Privet which started to bloom a few days ago.   A few front yards (without  herbicides) contain tons of white clover.   Has my big honey crop year hit a bump? - is the bee population in or out of sync with the weather and flowering plants? - four inches of rain in three days was ridiculous! - these are the uncertainties of the honey harvest.

No comments: