Thursday, March 12, 2020

Sixth warmest winter on record for contiguous U.S.


bee, beekeeping, climate, dandelion, checkerboarding, winter, bee cozy
bee, beekeeping, climate, dandelion, checkerboarding, winter, bee cozy
In "Assessing the U.S. Climate in February 2020", NOAA writes,
  • December through February was much warmer than normal across the contiguous United States, while precipitation remained above-average. 
  • Georgia ranked second wettest, while Alabama and North Carolina ranked third wettest.
  • Alabama and Georgia had their wettest winter on record, while South Carolina saw its second wettest.
NOAA's summary match my Atlanta weather experience and is consistent with the early arrival of flowering trees and plants.  I don't commonly see bees on dandelion flowers (many neighbors use lawn herbicides).   Wikipedia lists the  pollen color of  dandelion as "red yellow, orange" and typically flowering in  Apr-May.

Today, I removed the bee cozy hive wrap and checker-boarded the honey cap of my hives. From the top box, I swapped half of my drawn frames with no-comb foundationless frames.   The removed drawn frames are added to a new top box where half of the frames are no-comb foundationless.  I first learned about this beekeeping practice in 2015 where Steve Page spoke at Georgia Beekeepers Association.

No comments: