Friday, March 27, 2020

2020 nectar flow

bee, beekeeping, checkerboarding, frame cleaner tool, honey comb, nectar, hive tool,
bee, beekeeping, checkerboarding, frame cleaner tool, hive tool, honey comb, nectar,
15 days ago, I checkerboarded and added a medium box.  Today I repeated that process to keep up with the nectar flow.   My version of checkerboarding uses foundation-less frames with no drawn comb. New comb is drawn in a typical pattern of merging teardrop curves. 
bee, beekeeping, checkerboarding, frame cleaner tool, hive tool, honey comb, nectar,
I used the right angle end of the (traditional spring steel) hive tool to increase the space between frame top bars. Next I lifted the top bar end with a Frame Cleaner tool - that yellow handle tool in my right hand.  I've forgotten how I discovered this indispensable off-label use of the Frame Cleaner tool.

No comments: