Thursday, April 5, 2018

tulip popular flower windfall

bee, beekeeping, checkerboarding, foundationless. walter t kelly, honey cap, nectar, Small Hive Beetle, tulip poplar, sustainable, swarm, swarm lure, swarm trap,
Today I discovered the first 2018 windfall of the tulip popular flower kind.  Tulip poplar flowers could be a valuable nectar flow for the bees if the weather cooperates - no hard rainfall please.

In late February for one hive and mid-March for the other hive, I checkerboard the honey cap using foundation-less frames with no drawn comb. Both overwintered hives are flying with nearly equal vigor and have an amazing low number of small hive beetles during hive inspections, but are not drawing comb as I expected.

On March 29th I hung 8-frame deep swarm traps from crepe myrtle trees and now wait for the first scout bees - apparently I'm waiting impatiently.

No comments: