Do the adult small hive beetle populations change over time?
- Probably in response to cooler fall weather, less adult small hive beetles are captured over time
- I'm surprised--the hives maintain their unique small hive beetle size profile over time
- Hive A is weaker (less flight activity) than hive B
- Hive A is younger (swarm capture) and hive B is older (early spring nucleus hive)
- Hive A has larger beetles than hive B. Perhaps weaker (less flight activity) hives offer more small hive beetle treats (nutrition).
When does the small hive beetle population peak? Had I started the log sooner, then I could have captured the small hive beetle population peak. Oh well, something for next year. I'll wait for a further decline of the small hive beetle numbers before offering tasty (to small hive beetles) dry MegaBee pollen substitute to the bees.