Wednesday, May 13, 2009

baggie feeder

baggie feeder, bee, beekeeping, feeder, hive, Honey B Healthy, lemongrass, oil, spearmint,



baggie feeder, bee, beekeeping, feeder, hive, Honey B Healthy, lemongrass, oil, spearmint,
After a number of stings (on the hand), I began to search for something other than a boardman style feeder. I started using a one gallon baggie, but I had to solve some questions:
  • transporting filled baggies without creating leaks
  • checking for leaky baggies
  • where to puncture the baggie
  • how much syrup to place in the baggie
Using a plastic bucket (with handle), several baggies can be filled and safely transported. Baggie leaks can be discovered by checking the bucket. I use a permanent marker to highlight where to puncture the baggie. I make two small punctures followed by one central one inch slit. If the baggie is sealed with lots of air, then this reduces the likelihood of puncturing the bottom side of the baggie. Usually, I fill the baggie with a 1/2 gallon of syrup, but I have also successfully filled the baggie with 3/4 gallons of syrup. This year, I am adding Honey B Healthy to the syrup, so the hive smells of lemongrass and spearmint. Entering the top of the hive may require a veil, but I have not been stung on the hand.

No comments: