Sunday, January 30, 2022

meetings, book, blog, podcast, other

beekeeping,youtube,bee,meetings,books,google trends,suppliers,google scholar,google books, blog,podcast

Here's how I keep up or challenge my beekeeping craft and what works for me during these pandemic/endemic times.

  • Beekeeping Meetings - whether in person or live web video, it's an opportunity to share ideas, share a laugh and find inspiration.
  • Books - the physical book is my essential reference.  Books contain a high density of beekeeping information, organized by the author and editor into chapters, photos, graphs, glossary and index. - see the right margin of this blog for my favorite beekeeping books.  See the graph, book is a popular Google search word.
  • Google Books - where I digitally search my physical books and provide URL links to niche topics used in this blog.
  • Google Scholar - where I digitally search journals by author or beekeeping topic
  • YouTube - where I learn how to use or adapt-and-build beekeeping tools I don't purchase from beekeeping suppliers.   Items I've built with the help of friends: 1) the swarm catcher on a pole or 2) the 40-liter swarm trap.
  • Podcast - see the graph, podcast peak is found at the start of the SARS-CoV-2 pandemic.  Several beekeeping podcasts discuss treatment-free beekeeping topics of interest to me - see the right margin of this blog for my favorite podcasts.
  • Blogs - see the graph, blogs peak in the summer of 2009 - see the right margin of this blog for my favorite blogs.  This blog is a cleaned-up summary of my hand-written journal - a digital ,and therefore searchable, reference of my beekeeping experiences - what-where-when.  I do indulge my passion by including adapt-and-build gadgets and graphs (volatile organic compounds, hive weight and hive temperature).  I don't typically include huge disappointments that might discourage new beekeepers. "Things are never as easy as they seem." 😉
  • Beekeeping Suppliers - physical or digital catalogs, a source of bees, beekeeping equipment, information, videos, classes.

No comments: