Saturday, March 16, 2013

my 2013 spring experience

On March 16th, I removed the bee cozy and added one medium super too each hive.  Blue nitrile gloves worked great - fantastic zero sting outcome.   Discovered many small hive beetles (SHB) above the inner cover which only fed my SHB concerns coming out of a warm winter.  I also readied my swarm traps with new pheromone lures.
arctic oscillation, bee, bee cozy, beekeeping, blue nitrile gloves, climate, Small Hive Beetle, swarm lure, swarm trap,

The bee cozys were kept off the hives for my beekeeping convenience - I unilaterally declared spring had arrived.  In hindsight, bee cozy removal timing was too enthusiastic as March in Atlanta was cooler than usual. Using the Georgia Automated Environmental Monitoring Network data, I compared this year's minimum temperatures with two other years.

I'm fooled again - next time, I will ignore the NOAA spring climate forecast and watch the NOAA Arctic Oscillation (AO index) for short term Atlanta winter temperature trends. My apologies about the crude correlation of graphs - notice how the negative cycle of the AO index correlates with the cool/low 2013 minimum temperature curve.  A few days after the removal of the bee cozy marks the lowest point in the AO index - oh well.

No comments: